Job Title: Play Partners Parties Coordinator
Employment status: Self-employed at an hourly rate of £12.00
Hours per month: 8-10 hours per month. Extra hours will be paid for initial set up tasks.
Play Partner Parties are a new venture for South Wilts Mencap starting in September 2017. They provide a way to enable children aged between 5 and 13 years old who may feel socially isolated, have a disability or are differently abled, to meet, have fun and play with other children. Parties are usually held once a month on a Sunday afternoon for 2 hours (10 times a year excluding December and August) at Five Rivers Leisure Centre, Salisbury. This is an inclusive event for all the family, and siblings are included in the play opportunities and tea party. It is hoped that Play Partner Parties will give families an opportunity to develop friendships and support networks with each other.
Parents remain responsible for their children at all times and have to remain in close proximity so that they can be called upon at any time. Parents are responsible for any personal care needs for their children and any behaviour issues that may arise.
Young friendly volunteer play partners (aged 14 years plus) entertain, play and help the children enjoy the activities and tea party.
South Wilts Mencap has funding to continue this project for the next 3 years.
Organisation and administration of project
- Development and commissioning of project and organisation of each party
- Attendance at and administration of, each party – liaison with all people involved and resolving potential issues
- Reporting to a Trustee of South Wilts Mencap who will provide strategic direction, publicity and financial accounting
- Liaising with Five Rivers Leisure Centre who are responsible for all health and safety, first aid, and food hygiene regulations
- Manage and account for an annual budget of £2500 using a simple process agreed with the South Wilts Mencap Treasurer
- Administration of all aspects associated with the organisation of the Play Partner Parties
- Manage the annual budget of £2,500 for this project and prepare simple accounts for the Treasurer of South Wilts Mencap
- Promotion of the volunteer role with local senior schools. Help with recruitment of volunteers and organise the volunteer rota. Give guidance on the expectation of the volunteers’ role and boundaries. Ensure all volunteers adhere to the code of conduct
- Ensure that the Safeguarding policy of South Wilts Mencap and any other relevant policies are adhered to at all times. South Wilts Mencap will provide all associated documentation in regards to a parental code of conduct.
- Communicate and liaise with parent/carers to inform and answer any enquiries about the Play Partner Parties.
Promotion of Parties
- Use of email and social media to promote events
- Liaise with Wiltshire Parent Carers Council (WPCC), Secretary of South Wilts Mencap and Parental advisers for local primary schools to promote the play parties
- Foster relationships with schools and families to promote parties
Personal qualities for the role of Play Partner Parties Coordinator
We would like the candidate to:-
- Be a good communicator who has the many skills to help facilitate positive happy and fun events.
- Have experience with working with children and families preferably some experience of SEND.
- Have recently completed child protection and safeguarding training.
- Be organised and have some previous experience of administration relating to the running of a simple project. Have previously maintained simple accounts.
- Have successful experience of promoting ideas and projects via word of mouth, e-mail and social media.
- Be supportive and positive for the aims of South Wilts Mencap to support, enable and inspire families.
The successful candidate will be subject to the enhanced disclosure and barring checks and two references will be required.
Closing date for applications – 24th July 2017
For further information or an application form please contact:
South Wilts Mencap
Secretary – Mrs Emma Harper
c/o SWM Shop
16 Catherine Street
Wiltshire, SP1 2DA