Volunteer position available at 16 Catherine Street Ltd
To maintain our vitality needed to keep our charity shop vibrant, relevant and profitable, we are looking to recruit a volunteer Shop Director to support the shop and its retail business.
Roles and responsibilities
- To maximise the retail potential and sales performance of the shop
- Be the Line Manager for the Shop Managers
- Work with the Shop Managers to develop, support, train and create effective relationships for all volunteers
- Support the Shop Managers in the management of the volunteer team
- Model best retail practice for all volunteers
- Promote best practice within the shop and develop effective ways of dealing with display, donation sorting, stock movements, stock control
- Work with Shop Managers and staff to maximize the effectiveness of the shop layout
- Provide regular feedback to fellow 16CSt Directors
- Contribute to the development and delivery of the strategic and financial plans and management of the organisation
- Attend Board Meetings
It is expected that the Shop Director will initially spend time working in the shop in order to understand how it functions. Hours to be discussed, but initially are anticipated to be up to 10 hours per week, to include spending time in the shop. Board meetings are currently monthly for two hours, but it is anticipated these would be less frequent in the future.
What we are looking for
- Excellent communication skills and experience of people management
- Leadership experience and skills
- An understanding of the charity/voluntary sector
- Knowledge and understanding of working with volunteers
- An empathy towards people with learning disabilities
- A strong commitment to organisational development and improvement
What difference will you make
16 Catherine Street Limited is a wholly owned subsidiary of South Wilts Mencap, an independent local charity based in Salisbury which aims to support, enable and inspire people with learning disabilities and their families and carers living in Salisbury and South Wilts. Income from 16 Catherine Street charity shop and residential rental accommodation, within the premises, provides the principal income for South Wilts Mencap, to fund all of its activities for the learning disabled community.
What is in it for you as a volunteer
The team at 16 Catherine Street Ltd are 100% volunteers, many of whom have served the shop for decades. The friendly relaxed environment allows everyone to bring their skills and enthusiasm to making the shop a thriving success in the heart of Salisbury city centre. With extensive storage space and a shop floor refurbished in 2018, volunteers can choose where they use their skills to best use; sorting donations or serving customers. The recently refreshed board of directors continue to work closely with the aims of it’s parent company, South Wilts Mencap as we all look forward to celebrating their 60th anniversary. The shop director would be joining a strong and passionate board.
How to apply
Read our application pack which you can view/download below for full details and if the role sounds ideal for you, email our secretary, Mrs Emma Harper to request an application form.