Volunteer position available at 16 Catherine Street Ltd
To maintain our vitality needed to keep our charity shop vibrant, relevant and profitable, we are looking to recruit a volunteer Shop Director to support the shop and its retail business.
Roles and responsibilities
- To maximise the retail potential and sales performance of the shop
- Be the Line Manager for the Shop Managers
- Work with the Shop Managers to develop, support, train and create effective relationships for all volunteers
- Support the Shop Managers in the management of the volunteer team
- Model best retail practice for all volunteers
- Promote best practice within the shop and develop effective ways of dealing with display, donation sorting, stock movements, stock control
- Work with Shop Managers and staff to maximize the effectiveness of the shop layout
- Provide regular feedback to fellow 16CSt Directors
- Contribute to the development and delivery of the strategic and financial plans and management of the organisation
- Attend Board Meetings
It is expected that the Shop Director will initially spend time working in the shop in order to understand how it functions. Hours to be discussed, but initially are anticipated to be up to 10 hours per week, to include spending time in the shop. Board meetings are currently monthly for two hours, but it is anticipated these would be less frequent in the future.
What we are looking for
- Excellent communication skills and experience of people management
- Leadership experience and skills
- An understanding of the charity/voluntary sector
- Knowledge and understanding of working with volunteers
- An empathy towards people with learning disabilities
- A strong commitment to organisational development and improvement
What difference will you make
16 Catherine Street Limited is a wholly owned subsidiary of South Wilts Mencap, an independent local charity based in Salisbury which aims to support, enable and inspire people with learning disabilities and their families and carers living in Salisbury and South Wilts. Income from 16 Catherine Street charity shop and residential rental accommodation, within the premises, provides the principal income for South Wilts Mencap, to fund all of its activities for the learning disabled community.
What is in it for you as a volunteer
The team at 16 Catherine Street Ltd are 100% volunteers, many of whom have served the shop for decades. The friendly relaxed environment allows everyone to bring their skills and enthusiasm to making the shop a thriving success in the heart of Salisbury city centre. With extensive storage space and a shop floor refurbished in 2018, volunteers can choose where they use their skills to best use; sorting donations or serving customers. The recently refreshed board of directors continue to work closely with the aims of it’s parent company, South Wilts Mencap as we all look forward to celebrating their 60th anniversary. The shop director would be joining a strong and passionate board.
How to apply
Read our application pack which you can view/download below for full details and if the role sounds ideal for you, email our secretary, Mrs Emma Harper to request an application form.
Following the success of last year’s EmployAbility Fair, Wiltshire Council, in partnership with Job Centre Plus, is hosting another EmployAbility Fair in the Atrium, County Hall on Tuesday 2 October 2018 from 10am-2pm.
The event will be open to all members of the public with the aim being to support disabled people into work by providing an occasion for job seekers to meet local employers in an informal setting and find out about job opportunities and other routes to employment.
The event celebrates our commitment to being a Disability Confident employer. This year 30 exhibitors have signed up to attend including Wiltshire Police, Asda, BT Openreach, Longleat and Building Bridges. To read more about what a Disability Confident employer entails, visit their website.
Venue: Wiltshire Council, County Hall, Bythesea Rd, Trowbridge BA14 8JQ
South Wilts Mencap is building its team of volunteers, so please give some thought to joining us for a few hours each week. Here are some of the areas you can volunteer in;
- Our Charity Shop needs sales assistants and people to help sort and manage the stock. It is a great place to enjoy a bit of company whilst helping to generate vital income to keep the charity running. There is no need for experience, but if you have worked in retail, so much the better!
- We need someone to coordinate, and others to help, with our Ability Bikes Club one evening per week between 5:30 and 7:30pm (day as yet unknown). This activity is great fun, you would love it!
- Our other clubs need some friendly faces too, from practical help with the activities to admin assistance.
- If you are interested in a more strategic role, you might consider becoming a Trustee or member of the Executive Committee. Both Boards are made up of voluntary positions with committee meetings held in the evenings.
- We can also find small tasks for anyone with administrative experience.
- Finally, please don’t forget out Street Collection in Salisbury on Saturday 19th May. This is such an important team effort. Last May we took over £1,000 and it would be so good to beat that figure. We are looking for a coordinator for the bi-annual street collections and volunteers to come into town and collect for an hour.
Interested? Need more information? Ring Our Secretary, Emma Harper on 07702 565318 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
South Wilts Mencap are offering an exciting new position to coordinate a new service in Salisbury for children with learning disabilities and their families.
Play Partner Parties are a new venture for South Wilts Mencap starting in September 2017. They provide a way to enable children aged between 5 and 13 years old who may feel socially isolated, have a disability or are differently abled, to meet, have fun and play with other children. Parties are usually held once a month on a Sunday afternoon for 2 hours (10 times a year excluding December and August) at Five Rivers Leisure Centre, Salisbury. This is an inclusive event for all the family, and siblings are included in the play opportunities and tea party. It is hoped that Play Partner Parties will give families an opportunity to develop friendships and support networks with each other.
Click here to learn more about the self employed position and how to apply.